Saturday, February 24, 2007

Green Wolf

Green Wolf
By Michael Healy
At The Carlton Courthouse
Until march 10


Well, I can’t find an entry on Wikipedia for Green Wolf so I can’t tell you if they were real or not, but in the story Michael Healy tells, they are a young, idealistic and headstrong group of eco warriors in Germany who are sliding towards using terrorism to make their point.
I can’t tell you properly what their point is because the show doesn’t throw any light on to it.
The script isn’t terrible though in Doc Episode’s opinion it needs a couple of redrafts to deepen character, polish dialog and fill out the gaps of what we don’t know about green wolf. Who they were and what they believed in are important questions. It’s clear the writer knows the answers, but we need to know them too.
Now, much as I like Xan Colman as a person and much as I respect what he’s trying to do with A is for Atlas, I struggled to see his influence on this show. Sometimes you see a show and you wonder, was this directed by conference call? That’s the feeling I had with Green Wolf. I felt like for the most part the actors were left floating in the empty well of the space with little connection to the story or their characters place in it. The only one who does a decent job is Bruce Kerr and that’s only because he’s being Bruce Kerr.
The design doesn’t help that feeling either. If you’re gonna go for stark, it’s gotta be a lot starker than that for me.)
Over all, it’s a shame cause I think there’s a good story in there and these are all talented people. Just needs more work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home