Monday, October 16, 2006

Tragedia Endogonidia BR#04 Brussels

Tragedia Endogonidia BR#04 Brussels

Societas Raffaello Sanzio

At The Malthouse

Until 28 October

It never ceases to amaze me the unmitigated crap you can get away with calling art if you’re from another country.

Perhaps I’m getting old but I just find that a series of what were little more than visual non sequiturs, isn’t enough to hold my interest anymore. I find there must have some kind of story being told, some kind of effort to communicate to me as an audience member or I begin to wonder why I’m there.

So, in order, a woman mopping the stage, a baby and I think a robot head, an old guy in a bikini who puts on robes and then a police uniform, police investigating a crime scene, police beating the living hell out of some guy, same dude in a body bag, a rhinoceros child in a top hat, a balding woman pulling out a tooth and the old dude sinking into a hospital bed. If any one can tell me what the hell that was all about then please write care of the studio.

All the images were very beautiful to look at but my sense is that this show is not only about aesthetics. And I know that one can read it on a surreal level, say that the bizarre unconnected images are the beaten mans subconscious made manifest, or whatever. I just find these things tenuous. Especially given that there is no way any self respecting critic would go out on such a limb for an Australian company.

I suspect however, judging by the audiences slavishly fashionable response that the self consciously intellectual among us will adore BR#04. For you though, dear Beat readers, Danny says go check out something at the black lung instead.

Danny Episode

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home