Monday, August 28, 2006

Construction of the Human Heart

Construction of the Human Heart
Ross Mueller
The Tower
Until Aug 21

Okay, so it’s over and I missed reviewing it for publication. There's things to do.

I’ll admit it, after all the god damn hype around the thing, I didn’t think it was that great. I mean, it was good, don’t get me wrong, but after it premiered at the storeroom last year, everyone was like, oh my god, have you seen it, you gotta go see it.

Well, I didn’t go see it then. I had something on. That happens in this place.

And I really hate that. That I go to the remount of a show that every one said was the shit and come out going, well it was okay but…

There’s nothing in it to fault, well perhaps that even without having seen it’s original, it was obvious that they’d recreated the storeroom production in the tower. Other than that, it’s great. Todd MacDonald and Fiona Macleod, well, everyone knows they’re meant to be on stage together, from ride to construction. The direction is Brett Addam’s subltly geometric movement, Casey Benetto’s voice over just quirky enough and Ross’s writing clever and approaching it’s peak. I say approaching cause I know what’s coming and it’s gonna be good.

So perhaps that’s it’s downfall. In the storeroom you’re no more than three seats away from them, they’re spitting on you, the rage and pain washes straight over you in that confined little room, and the towers too big. We’re just too damn far away from it it get it’s full impact. This is a story of humanity and you gotta be able to get up close to understand.

Danny Episode

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home